A preview of the new AsciiDoc integration

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A preview of the new AsciiDoc integration

mojavelinux
The AsciiDoc integration in the current released version (0.4.7) isn't very good. What we have in HEAD (the upcoming 0.5.0) is profoundly better.

Currently, the graphitefriction.com site serves as a prototype of the tight integration between AsciiDoc and Awestruct coming in 0.5.0 (and a vision of where we're headed with it).

Notice that it's using the AsciiDoc header to provide the metadata for the page instead of the special Awestruct preamble. This decouples the document from the Awestruct engine so it can be reused in other contexts easily (such as previewing on GitHub). In fact, it renders quite well in preview mode on GitHub (the missing header will be addressed once GitHub updates to Asciidoctor 0.1.1):


Thanks goes to Aslak for implementing the native AsciiDoc header support into Awestruct.

You may also be interested in the Travis CI task in the Rakefile that automatically publishes the website whenever you push to the source branch (move over Jekyll, here comes Awestruct!)


I think we should consider including a polished version of this Rakefile in the Awestruct template.

We're trying to get 0.5.0 out the door, but at the moment we are blocked by a bug that is causing the Ruby runtime to crash. See https://github.com/awestruct/awestruct/issues/246 for details. I can't wait to get past it and roll out this integration!

Cheers!

-Dan 

--
Dan Allen
Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A preview of the new AsciiDoc integration

LightGuard
Administrator
I like what you've done Dan, but I think an awestruct deployer would be better than the rake task, keeps things more self contained.


On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
The AsciiDoc integration in the current released version (0.4.7) isn't very good. What we have in HEAD (the upcoming 0.5.0) is profoundly better.

Currently, the graphitefriction.com site serves as a prototype of the tight integration between AsciiDoc and Awestruct coming in 0.5.0 (and a vision of where we're headed with it).

Notice that it's using the AsciiDoc header to provide the metadata for the page instead of the special Awestruct preamble. This decouples the document from the Awestruct engine so it can be reused in other contexts easily (such as previewing on GitHub). In fact, it renders quite well in preview mode on GitHub (the missing header will be addressed once GitHub updates to Asciidoctor 0.1.1):


Thanks goes to Aslak for implementing the native AsciiDoc header support into Awestruct.

You may also be interested in the Travis CI task in the Rakefile that automatically publishes the website whenever you push to the source branch (move over Jekyll, here comes Awestruct!)


I think we should consider including a polished version of this Rakefile in the Awestruct template.

We're trying to get 0.5.0 out the door, but at the moment we are blocked by a bug that is causing the Ruby runtime to crash. See https://github.com/awestruct/awestruct/issues/246 for details. I can't wait to get past it and roll out this integration!

Cheers!

-Dan 

--
Dan Allen
Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597




--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A preview of the new AsciiDoc integration

mojavelinux
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Jason Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like what you've done Dan, but I think an awestruct deployer would be better than the rake task, keeps things more self contained.

Sure, that would be the ultimate goal. I think the Rakefile identifies where Awestruct is leaving off and how much still needs to be done to get it deployed automatically.

...but I also like the Rakefile because it simplifies the experience for a novice or newbie user.

Typing:

rake

...is a lot simpler than:

bundle exec awestruct -d

We can tuck calls like that and others away inside rake tasks.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A preview of the new AsciiDoc integration

LightGuard
Administrator
That's fine, if we want to seed a simple rake file. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2013, at 18:54, Dan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Jason Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like what you've done Dan, but I think an awestruct deployer would be better than the rake task, keeps things more self contained.

Sure, that would be the ultimate goal. I think the Rakefile identifies where Awestruct is leaving off and how much still needs to be done to get it deployed automatically.

...but I also like the Rakefile because it simplifies the experience for a novice or newbie user.

Typing:

rake

...is a lot simpler than:

bundle exec awestruct -d

We can tuck calls like that and others away inside rake tasks.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen
Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
Registered Linux User #231597